Thursday 7 September 2017

Why I Decided To Go Cruelty Free


Firstly I write this post not with the intention of spreading my opinion around and forcing people to chose my way of life. That's not what I'm about - I'm not a bully or a brain washer.  Everyone has the right to make their own choices in life and do as they wish, however I am about educating people wherever I can. So if I do end up changing your mind, well that will make me a happy trooper.

I'm a big softy when it comes to animals, ask any one who knows me. When I took the above picture of the bunny in Cornwall I pretty much said ahh at every picture I took of it. I'm so soft that if I see a bee walking on the floor I have to try and move in case someone steps on it and kills it. I'll jump over a line of ants walking in the garden and I am always chatting to my cat like she knows what I'm saying to her - I swear she does. I'm a soppy animal lover through and through and I'm proud to admit it.

I've currently been cruelty free (CF) for approximately 2 years. I first got an insight to the CF world when I went to a blogging event years ago for the Tara Smith. I can remember when she was introducing her brand to us all, that she was so PASSIONATE about the products being CF and containing no animal products. I think I fell in love with the idea of being CF from that moment onwards thanks to Tara. Here was a hair stylist to the stars of Hollywood telling us all that you don't need products containing animal products and that have been tested on them to look good. She changed me, forced my eyes open wide and I'm very grateful for it. After that moment I started to research brands and look at everything I owned.

Before I become CF I loved big makeup brands - posh expensive brands that look friggin' amazing. You know the ones I'm talking about right? If you see back on my blog and YouTube channel there are lots of posts and videos I've created which contain brands like them. Sadly a lot of them test on animals. Sometimes it's not the companies themselves that do it, but third parties when it is required by law - namely China where it is the law. Before any foreign beauty product can be sold in China it must be tested on an animal - sad but true. You can read this post from Cruelty-Free Kitty which talks more about brands and the whys. Cruelty-Free Kitty is a great source I like to visit to keep up to date with all things CF.

Annoyingly you really have to have your wits about you when choosing brands. I've had to check their small print on their websites. Some give the impression they are CF in the policies, saying things like 'we do not test on animals or ask anyone else to do so on our behalf - unless required by law'. Argh! The reason why these brands sell in china is because of the money - pure and simple. Greedy people want to line their pockets with as much money as possible at the cost of the animals. It makes me angry and so sad that is the reason. China and it's beauty market is huge and worth billions. However there is some hope as not all beauty brands opt to sell there because of their laws. They still make money and not at the expense of animals in laboratories.

Luckily in the EU it is against the law to test on animals for the beauty industry. Praise the lord! I'm not sure why China cannot follow suit - If the EU doesn't do it then why them? Perhaps in the future China will rethink their policies and follow in the EU's foot steps.

The reason why I chose to become CF is because I didn't want to be apart of it any more. Putting money in the pockets of the greedy and the animals being used as beauty product testers. It made me feel sick ... how can a animal lover like myself do it? To use a product, that an animal has had to suffer bad treatment and testing to make sure its good enough for us humans? It made perfect sense to me now to end my association with these companies.

There are so many brands that are CF, so there is no need to worry your little socks thinking where will your next tube of foundation will come from if you merge into CF products. There are plenty of cool amazing brands out there which will surprise you. Why do you think I'm always having Lush baths? ;-)

Anyways, I hope this post sheds some light on the decisions I have made to be CF. Perhaps this will encourage you to think about the products you use.

Angela x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Feel free to let me know your thoughts.

© CHATTING WITH ANGELA

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig